Monday, March 03, 2008

Little Golden Book Monday #46


Tonight's Little Golden Book is Walt Disney's The Sword in the Stone. This copy is a second printing from 1973, which was 10 years after the movies 1963 theatrical release.
I have always loved the look of this movie, and one reason may be that Bill Peet worked on it. Bill Peet has always been a favorite writer / artist of mine since my early childhood, reading books such as Capybobby and Farewell to Shady Glade. To this day, my favorite classic Disney animated film is Sleeping Beauty, another film Bill worked on.
This particular copy, has a strange thing going on with its cover... it's peeling. There is a shiny plastic coating on the cover which is peeling up in some areas and missing in others (If you look really carefully at the photo of the cover, you can see what I am talking about). This is the first time I have seen this on a Little Golden book, so not sure if this is a common occurrence on older books or not.
What I have seen on many newer Little Golden Books is the Gold spine sticker/tape starting to come unglued and in some cases, falling off the book.
I would love to find a place to purchase LGB bags/sleeves such as the ones I keep my comic books and records in. If anyone knows of such a thing, please let me know.

No comments: