Monday, June 09, 2008

Little Golden Book Monday #58

Today's Little Golden Book is Disney's Mulan, based on the 1998 animated feature Mulan. I am not a huge fan of the film, but I do love the Jerry Goldsmith score, which does get stuck in my head any time I hear it. And the comedy provided by the Mushu, voiced by Eddie Murphy provides for lots of laughs.
According to Robert D. San Souci, who retold and researched the original story, Disney didn't like the idea of putting in a dragon as a companion for Mulan; they feared it would be too big and menacing. San Souci explained to them that in Chinese lore, dragons can be any size, so a small dragon was approved. Thus, Mushu was born. This change is acknowledged when Mulan calls him "tiny" and Mushu replies, "Of course! I'm travel size for you convenience! If I was my REAL size your cow (Khan) here would die of fright!"

No comments: